Saturday, November 6, 2010

croup

croup 1 |kroōp|nouninflammation of the larynx and trachea in children, associated with infection and causing breathing difficulties.

After learning about croup in nursing school and recently been refreshed on the subject to renew my PALS license, I can finally say I understand what it is. I've always heard the term "croup" and "croupy" but now I know all too well.

Friday night (when it started kicking in): We were a sight in Mac's little bathroom all steamed up and sweating while the 3 of us breathed in the hot air, sang, danced, read books and played with the busy ball popper. Then we bundled up and went outside for a walk in the cool air. All of these crazy sounding things were advice of a pediatric nurse I promise haha.  The hot air loosens up the airway and the cool air decreases the inflammation which causes the classic "barking cough".  After much debate in my head, I decided not to go to the ER and let him try to sleep through the night with the humidifier in his room. His breathing was a little noisy, but he slept peacefully through the night.

Saturday: We took him to the Children's after hours clinic thanks to the referral from his doctor's nurse. They gave him some oral Decadron (sterioid to decrease the inflammation). And the doctor said his lungs sounded good (no stridor today thank goodness).

Thankfully he still acts like he feels good and is down for a nap now. He learned a new phrase today, "What was that?!" It is so cute hearing him say it with his little hoarse voice.

No comments: